Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Hawk

I looked up at Justin, who's mouth was shut tight.

"Who else is here?" I asked.

"No one," Trezie was standing next to us. "I wish Classia was here, more than ever. She knew."

"What?" I asked. "Where is she?"

"She went to the Fairrae House. You switch houses every year. Well, only if you can master the first house you're in. Then you move on, but otherwise, you're stuck in that house forever," Trezie told me, as grim as Justin was.

I found Trezie's hand and gripped it. "This's scary."

Trezie squeezed it, and grabbed Justin's elbow. She steered us away from the busy Hall, and into the silent hallway.

"What do we do now, Justin? You always knew something," Trezie snapped angrily.

Justin looked taken back, and then shot a sharp glace at her. "What about yourself? You NEVER knew a way. It's your turn."

"Guys, please stop," I said. "We're all stressed. Let's just breathe, and then worry about it, k?"

They snapped me a look. I looked at them.

"Hey, let's not get too picky now," I said.

"Fine," they said in union. I stared at them, wondering how they could say 'fine' together, even after a fight.

They walked away, and I stayed where I was. I couldn't make up my mind about who I could trust: Anyone or just Trezie and Justin. Classia seemed to like them very much, but would they care for me to show me I could trust them?

I walked slowly back to the room and watched them panic. They all seemed to scared to do much. I understood why.

Walking away, I decided to go back to the dormitories. I found the girls' one, and the door let me in without asking a question. I went to our room, and without looking around, I sat. There was something wrong about this place. Something that you want to shiver, shake, bend, cry.

Or was it me?

"No one should die." I whispered. "Even I never would think... Think of doing that."

I laid down and fell asleep after a few moments.

*****************************************************************************************

I sat up, and looked around. Three girls lay in their bed around me. They were all breathing slowly, and I laid my head back down.

I looked over at Trezie, who was breathing deeply, then lightly, the barely. She let out a groan, and I wondered if I should wake her up. It seemed odd laying there, barely remembering what had happened that day.

I couldn't sleep not matter how hard I tried for the next few minutes. I decided to get up and go sit by the fire place. I tried to be quiet while getting out of the room, but ended up giving up and slamming the door shut.

In the main room, to my surprise, all the boys were sleeping soundly. Snores made it hard to hear anything else going on in the room.

I looked around, and saw Justin laying on his side, eyes staring wide at the fire across the room from me. I silently walked around the room to where he was, and sat down by him.

"Why are you guys," I puts emphises on the word 'guys', "here?"

Justin sat up and looked at me. "Kassias? What happened to you? Trezie was so worried!" He hissed.

"I went to lay down," I said. I looked at him, waiting for an answer.

"We're here because," Justin breathed in. "Something is quite wrong. It wasn't like this last year. Not a bit."

I nodded, taking it in. What a horrible first year. But then, what did the fifth years- like Justin- think of this?

"Gosh, Kassias. This is so weird. Everything seems so odd."

I nodded to that too. "I'll.... I'll be back, I have to go breathe." I got up and was at the door before he could protest.

I pushed the handle leading out of the dormitories down and then rushed out. Slamming it behind me, I bent to cry. It was weird, but also unfair. It was my first day, and I couldn't help anyone because didn't know how.

I ran for the outdoors, tears flying onto the floor as I was going too fast to let them drip down my face.

"KASSIAS!"

I stopped and turned, frightened, and ready to run if needed. My leg muscles were tightened with fear.

A hawk, pale green, with eyes as red as fire, stood before me. It's eyes were hard upon me, and it's wing were opened. It closed it's long wings a bowed.

"Your sister sends message that she is coming, and to go out into the garden. She says that you must hurry and get Trezie and Justin, and do not get anyone else. Hurry."

After it said the last few words with it's deep voice, like a windstorm's voice, it vanished. I stared at the place it left had left at.

I then remembered what I was told to do and ran to get Justin and Trezie. While racing down the hallway, I saw two figures coming towards me.

"Kassia! What on earth happened?" Trezie grabbed my shoulders and looked worriedly at me.

"Hurry! Please, we have to go!" I said, grabbing their hands and leading them to the gardens.

I led them to a fountain where you could see everything in the garden. The other two were screaming at me.

"Kassias, please," Trezie called at me. "Tell me what going on!"

"Kassias, we do not have time for games!" Justin said.

The moment I set foot on the fountain and turned to find my sister, she was right before me. Her short, red hair stood out in the moonlight.

"Kassia!" she grabbed me, and hugged me close. "Oh, goodness! You're alive!"

I pulled back, and fell into the fountain. I came to the surface, laughing.

"Classia!" I said, stepping out and looking down at myself. I was drenched, and my stockings were at my ankles.

"Oh! Kassia!" she beamed at me. "It's so good to see you! Do you know how long it's been? A full moon-cycle in Fairrae times. Oh, how little time I have to say this, but: You must get out of here. According to my teacher, there are traitors in your house--"

"We know," Trezie cut in. "The Lay killed our head already. When should we leave?"

"Now," Classia said to us. "There is no time, and you must not take anyone with you. Like I said, there are traitors, and not all of them are in likely places."

We all nodded. Classia smiled, and started to fade.

"Good! I wish all of you luck," she said, and disapeared.

"Hurry," Trezie said, and started walking toward a gate at the other end of the garden.

Justn and I stared to followed, but lagged just a little behind.

"Welcome to the group," Justin said. "Of the FSCFH."

I gave him a quized look.

"Fairrae School of Cances but Fair Hope."

I nodded an smiled. That made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment